Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekend update



This weekend was quite eventful. We did have soccer Saturday morning. I think for the next month and a half this will be my Saturdays! Poor kids were dominated by the ofter team. They play three on three. Each team has six kids (mixed boys and girls in the under six teams). Our coach is very good about playing three, then completely rotating to the other three. He is very good about keeping his kid out even if he is throwing a fit (the kid not the dad! ). This team we played had two EXCEPTIONAL players. They played the entire time and only rotated the other four kids into the last spot. It was kind of frustrating to see the kids kick the ball off, only to have those other two boys get it and score withing seconds. But a trip to the snack shack for Chex Mix made it all better. Yes, Will picks Chex Mix and a Gaterade for his after game snack! Silly boy

These blue skies didn't last all weekend. Sitting by these sidelines in our little collapsible chairs was pretty much the last blue skies we saw.

This morning I did get to sleep in....whew hoo! Thanks Husband. I woke up after hearing the wind chimes in the back yard. They sounded like they were coming through the window. The wind was blowing so hard our little trees were bending over. I sat down at the table to have my token bowl of granola cereal with a banana cut up in it. Just as I sit down, I notice our trampoline blowing across the backyard. We were able to get the net off and tether it against the swing set and the fence post.

Husband didn't walk in the door five minutes and we noticed it was getting hot in the house. A quick glance at the thermostat, it was hot...not just me being hot from wrangling a trampoline! The unit outside was running, but no air was coming out of the vents. Husband went down to the basement to look at some thing-a-ma-jigger. The coils were covered in ice! Being the resourceful Husband that he is, he got it all fixed.

Everything is back to normal in our cushy cool home, the trampoline is still in our yard, ...and the winds have finally settled down. What we thought was going to be a laid back day was anything but. Who knew that a hurricane on the coast would bring the wind this far north?

Happy Sunday, y'all!

10 comments:

Brandt! said...

We were hoping to get some excitement from Ike ... but not ... oh well.. I guess Galveston got more than their share. I wonder how the vacation place that you go to made out.. think those A frames are still standing?

Dea Felis said...

Apparently our little hurricane also knocked out power in Cleveland, OH on its way through. :p

I and everyone I know down here who I've heard from are doing fine. We are lucky to live inside Houston proper, so we had electricity back pretty quickly. I feel for the people further south; :/ but until the authorities tell us that we can head down there to help, I'm going to stay home where it's safe and out of the way. City people cannot drive when the traffic lights go out and the traffic cops aren't there!

Monica said...

You've won a blog award! Come visit me to see. :)

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that wind must have been something!

Dan is playing soccer this season too. :)

megz_mum said...

I like that your coach rotated the whole team through to play - surely that is what sport for little people is all about.
Hopefully all your cyclones/hurricanes have blown themselves out! There seem to have been an awful lot of them in a short period!

Unknown said...

I'm glad your trampoline didn't blow away! Ours didn't either, but we lost so many branches. I will be picking them up all week.

Monogram Queen said...

I can just see you wrangling that trampline - you poor thing!

Desert Diva said...

Wow, what a wild weekend. I'm glad that you still have a trampoline and that you solved the air conditioning problem. (Hmmm, maybe I need a husband!) ;-)

Sisters with Style said...

We were supposed to get a lot of rain with Ike. Luckily it only rained on and off on Saturday.

What a resourceful husband you have. You are so lucky!

Anonymous said...

How horrifying! I would freak if I saw the trampoline fly across the yard!

I'm glad you guys are all right and not surprised at all that Action Jackson fixed the a/c.

I hope things settle down a bit