Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Monday, December 29, 2008
What is the biggest mistake you made in 2008 and will not make again in 2009? portion control....enough said!
Do you make New Year's resolutions? not really
Who do you nominate as “Man or Woman of the Year” for 2008? any wife going through a deployment
What was your greatest accomplishment in 2008? selling a house in today's market, living with my mom for a month, living with my in-laws for a month, buying a house here and making it a home.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
I ended up not getting the watch. Claudia, I know you have been my biggest cheerleader in this. But I was comparing two different ones. The TAG-Heuer and a Bulova. Both are stainless steel with diamonds with a deployment buckles clasp. I choose the Bulova. I am very happy with my choice!
Monday, December 22, 2008
If you could put anyone you know on Prozac, who would you choose? haa....not touching that one
How do you feel about public displays of affection? Are we talking holding hands strolling down the walk, or are we talking all out groping?? I have hollered, "get a room!" more than once.
No muffins today, we made it....over the river and through the woods to the Grandparents house we go. We let the kids open their presents from us at home, rather than haul all the stuff up here and back!
I had so much fun playing with my present. I took this pic with it...kind of impressed with its camera capabilities!
Livi was worried that Santa wouldn't find us here in OH. She thought we were going to leave our stockings there and he would be confused. So we brought them with us. Santa, we are at Grandma and Grandpa's....put that in your good book!
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Friday, December 19, 2008
1. Said the night wind to the little lamb, "Hush little baby, don't say a word...(I sing this to Will every single night as part of his bedtime routine)."
2. The first Noel, the angel did say, my oh my what a beautiful day This was my backyard this afternoon....you never would have known we missed two days of school on the account of snow this week!
3. All too soon we will be going, Over the hills and everywhere.
4. It came upon the midnight clear, all were sleeping peacefully in their own beds....until around 5AM or so.
5. Will and Livi, Let your heart be light.
6. And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing sing loudly, sing proudly...just keep singing baby girl.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to letting the kids open a present, tomorrow my plans include a movie with the kids...Bolt or The Tale of Despereaux and Sunday, I want to check and double check everything for Christmas!
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
We had four seasons as well: almost winter, winter, barely winter, and a wee little bit of summer. After three wonderful years there, we were going to move again. Oh yeah....a chance for some seasons. Where was Uncle Sam going to send us? Can you believe it, we went back to Oklahoma. Granted, I love Oklahoma. My mom lives ten minutes from where we did there. Will was born there. She was able to see him very often. But I really longed for seasons.
From Oklahoma, we moved to the east Bay of California to a picture perfect town. While the weather there is absolutely gorgeous, I still didn't have seasons. After a very short stint there, we were on the move again.
Kansas here we come.....oh, the joy of four seasons. I loved it. I loved wearing a light sweater in the evenings while at the chiminea with the neighbors! But KS was only a school for a year. We were on the move again. So many places were mentioned of where we could go....where oh where would Uncle Sam send us.
You are kidding me? Texas....It was so against my Boomer Sooner upbringing to even think good things about Texas. While I never felt like Texas was my home, I loved the house that became our home there. I made some of the best friends ever there....so sad to say Texas does hold a special place in my heart. But just a wee little space!
When Husband returned from the deployment (which was a year ago on the 19th!!!), it was time to move again. Husband, please Husband, can we please go somewhere with seasons. I love me
I got seasons. We arrived in the summer. I witnessed some gorgeous colors this past fall. Now winter is in full swing....WITH snow!
I had to take a pic of these lights .....they line the patio area. The little caps of snow are so pretty!
More snow on my little evergreen trees out front! I am loving the seasons so far.
Happy Friday, y'all!
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Since I finally finished the entire ABC themed Thursday 13.......I am back to wondering to what to do every week! These are in no particular order....because if they were #6 the Chocolate Chocolate Chip muffins would TOTALLY be first! Here are thirteen favorite muffins and cookies and sweets from the last two years of doing muffin Monday.
2. Lemon Ricotta muffins
3. Blueberry yogurt muffins
4. Blonde brownies
5. Chocolate chip banana
6. Chocolate Chocolate chip muffin
7. Apple Spice Crumb muffin
8. Tropical Nut muffin
9. Ginger Pear muffin
11. Faux turtles
12. Peanut Butter Cream Sandwich cookies
13. Amish Ginger Cookies
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
It was indeed a snow day. After sleeting late last night and snowing through the rest of the night, school was cancelled. Both kids were up and ready to go before I even had breakfast. Finally after a warm cup of peppermint mocha cream laced coffee, I was ready to face the cold.
Kids clothes, check. Warm jackets, check. Snow pants, check. Snow boots, check. hats and mittens, check. At this point I had visions of the kid in A Christmas Story...I just knew one of them would have to go to the bathroom. We were spared an undressing of the ten thousand layers....whew hoo!
The kids just wanted to taste the snow first.....it was light and fluffy according to Livi. After a few snowballs, some snow angels, it was time for a few sled rides. I pulled them up the very slight incline....I can't even call it a hill....just once. Then they took turns pulling each other. There is one great sledding hill in the neighborhood. But I am sure some family didn't want to be greeted by two goofy kids hollering at the top of their lungs at 9 in the morning!
Once we came in we had to warm up with some hot cocoa. I lit the fire until every one's cheeks and noses weren't numb anymore!
We had fun on our first snow day here......Will was so excited to wear his shirt...."every day should be a snow day".
Happy Tuesday, y'all!
Monday, December 15, 2008
You are going out for the evening. If your partner objects to what you are wearing, would you change your clothing? I don't think he would say anything. But if he did, yes, I would change AND THEN NEVER WEAR THAT OUTFIT AGAIN! LOL It would be Freecycled before you know it.
What item that you don’t currently possess would you most like to have in your home? I think this home is pretty much complete. But I would like a pot rack. Because of the ceilings in the kitchen, I have to have a wall mounted one. I love this one at Crate and Barrel but I want to see it in person first.
Oh well, we can have Rudolph reindeer candy cane duals......
Because I am 99.95754 % sure we will have a snow/ice day tomorrow. Happy Monday, y'all!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
3 c. sugar
1 c. Milnot (evaporated milk
)3/4 stick margarine *I use butter*
1 7oz. jar of marshmallow cream
12 oz package of chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts (pecans)
Note: do not try to make this when there is 90% humidity....it takes forever to set. This note was on my card from when we made these in in TX last winter.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Combining this with a meme I have done before.....
1. Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
2. Using only the first page of results, and pick one image.
3. Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into Big Huge Lab’s Mosaic Maker to create a mosaic of the picture answers.
The questions:1. What is your first name? Tommie
2. What is your favorite food? right now? cheese
3. What high school did you go to? Cache
4. What is your favorite color? crimson
5. Who is your celebrity crush? Matt Damon
6. What is your favorite drink? Do you even have to ask?
7. What is your dream vacation? Walt Disney World
8. What is your favorite dessert?creme brule
9. What do you want to be when you grow up? peaceful
10. What do you love most in life? husband
11. What is one word that describes you? organized
12. What is your flickr name? tommiea1
I don't think I can pick an all time favorite....but I do love this one:
Happy Saturday, y'all!
Friday, December 12, 2008
1. Friends are spread near and far....Alaska to Italy to across the US .
2. Take care of your health; it's going to take me to old and grey.
3. I'm ready for to make fudge for my neighbors and the kids' teachers.
4. Root candles in pumpkin spice and mulled cider is one of my favorite perfumes or aftershaves or smells.
5. The oldest ornament I have is a Coke machine with a little mouse climbing up it.....edited to add: I looked all over our tree and could not find it. Makes me wonder where it is. But I did find this one that I have had almost as long. Boomer Sooner! I got this in an ornament exhange when I was in school at the University of Oklahoma.
6. Take some flour, sugar, and some wet stuff, mix it all together and you have muffins.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to pizza (veggie with chicken...so really not veggie...but still yummy!) , tomorrow my plans include grocery shopping and finish wrapping some presents, and Sunday, I want to sleep in and make reindeer candy canes with the kids!
Happy Friday, y'all
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
The ABCs of Aging Gracefully-
D-dance at weddings
E-eat more chocolate
F-fall in love again
K-kiss like you mean it
P-perspire with aplomb
T-teach someone to read
V-volunteer to read
This sign was on my sister-in-law's island in her kitchen. I took this this past summer during our wild and crazy transition to KY. I thought enough of it to take a picture.....I do try to follow these ABCs. Most of these come fairly easy for me.....
though I did have to look up aplomb. "Perspire with aplomb".....meaning complete and confident composure. So tomorrow when I am on the elliptical, I will make sure I am sweating confidently!
Happy Friday, y'all!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
3. zone clean: I zone clean ....a Flylady thing. Basically the house is divided into five zones (entrance/dining room, kitchen, bathrooms/kids' room, master bedroom, living room)....I focus on a certain zone each week. Ideally, during one month the entire house gets a thorough cleaning. The key word here is ideally. Before kids I would have stressed to the nth degree if it my house wasn't immaculate....now a general clean is okay. Though the dust on the baseboards still wear me out!
4. Zip code: Every time we move, it takes me forever to learn my new zip code! Forever! We have been here since the summer and I still confuse the last digit!
5. zapped: I have been zapped by a cow prod. It left a little dent in my shin bone. Lovely high school memories.
8. zebra: In TX we went to a drive through zoo ....a zebra followed our car right at Livi's eye level. She did not like that one bit!
9. zero: tattoos on my body. I have always wanted one...but have a pain tolerance of ZERO.
10. zest: anytime we make muffins with fresh lemon or lime juice, I use the zest in the muffin batter. It makes it so much more flavorful and moist.
11. zip: I am totally not one to gripe...but people who zip through traffic (especially when the temps are hovering between 30-35) scare the bejesus out of me!
12. zodiac = cancer = crab......traits makes you wonder if the stars know something I don't!
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
I have a huge belief that kids need to be outside. They need to be outside at least once a day. Run around, not tethered to a TV or a Leapster or a million other little electronic devices available these days. When we lived in TX, this was fairly easy to do 11 months of the year.
But being outside in the harsh afternoon sun often results in some severe shadows. Here are some of my favorite shots that had a tag of shadow from my files.
This one reminds me of so many times I hollered at the boy, "Get your shoes on....you are going to stub your toe!" But I am just glad he had clothes on....more often than not, he is in pajamas if he didn't just get home from preschool!
One of the many from our beach trip the year Husband was deployed.
I love this shot....I even had one enlarged for our wall of family photos. But that shadow on her dress has always bothered me! Finally, another shot from outside....obviously he is swinging....being outside, getting sunshine, having fun. Doing things kids need to do every day.....EVEN if I have harsh shadows!
Monday, December 08, 2008
Manic Monday is hosted by the talented fleur-de-lisa
Boulevard in downtown San Francisco near the waterfront is wonderful!
The Brasserie in OH where I had a dirty little secret
The Princess Cruise lines have an awesome restaurant in Denali National Park. I had halibut cheeks there.....oh my...heavenly to say the least.
What is the fastest speed you've ever traveled in a car? I am a wimp...maybe 80. That was definitely before kids.