Tuesday, September 04, 2007

WCW: WHAT was I thinking???




This is what I was asking myself this morning around 8:40?? Kind of early to begin questioning my sanity if you ask me....
At the kids' preschool, each family has to do twenty service hours....PER KID! If you do, you get back about half of a month's tuition in May. So when the Car Doors spot was posted as a new volunteer position this year, I jumped at it....I mean I can get in an easy thirty minutes a day. I figured, I am already there right....I may as well walk some other kids in at the same time.
btw, Car Doors is a program where you can just drive up and a parent volunteer will walk your kid in....I loved it last year. But when the office assistant quit mid year they didn't do it for the spring semester....and I missed it!
Well, getting out the door by 7:45 to be there at 8:00 is a whole new ballgame.....Normally we are walking out the door at 8....Mike even set an old watch's alarm to go off at 8.....the kids know by the time that thing go off, they need to be lined up, lunch box in hand, ready to walk out the door. Anything they want to take in the car has to be in the other hand.....frequently that means Livi's bunny and a water bottle or milk for Will.
When Will was still asleep at 7:15 I knew we were in trouble. I hate being rushed....I hate being gripey about time. I hate being snappy with the kids. After the long weekend it was rough for Will to wake up and get going. Finally I literally carried him back to his room (because you know he came into our room sometime around 3AM!) I got him dressed while he was semi-sleep. Only after I plopped him in his chair to eat some pancakes did he even wake up!
So, I think I will have to pass on this "opportunity" the next time she asks.....Who volunteers to be go in thirty minutes early after a long weekend anyway?? Do I have sucker written on my head??

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait...do you the Car Doors thing ALL year or is this just for a few months? You'll more than get that 40 hours in!

Even if you do kill your kids in the process...kidding...I totally get the being crabby about time thing! Good luck to you guys!

Monogram Queen said...

Getting up/out is a battle just about every morning with us. I hate it!

tulipmom said...

That Car Doors/Drop Off is a great idea ... although I've never been able to take advantage of it as S.B. just won't go in without me ... I'm hoping this will change by the time #2 arrives.

Mornings are tough here. Especially since school starts 1/2 hour earlier this year.

I LOVE the idea of families volunteering and then getting some tuition back.

k e r r y said...

I am impressed you are making pancakes on school mornings!! I agree - it is hard enough to get the kids to the bus stop on time in the morning - if we had one more thing to do in the AM I don't know what we'd do!!

Wendy said...

Maybe it would get better on a regular week instead of after a long weekend. Easy way to get in those hours. We don't have to do that. We just have to drive our kid to any field trips and bring snacks once a month. I wish they did this at our preschool, I would be all over it!

Anonymous said...

The days have changed from letting your kids walk to the bus stop. That is a nice program. I played too.

Unknown said...

We dont have that service at our school, we have to get out every day and physically sign them in and out of class. I wish I could just drop him, it would make things easier since I have Wade. Then again, this gives me the opportunity to see whats up in the classroom and get letters and artwork at my disposal, not when Ty remembers.

tommie said...

TKW- No, it is just a daily thing. I am not sure who did it today. I just walked both in.

Patti- Will is starting to sleep past 8 on the weekends, so he had a hard time!!

tulipmom- He might adjust, as he sees your belly growing he might start to get the idea!

kerry-don't be too impressed! I make them on Sundays and just nuke them on Tues or Wed. They actually freeze pretty well. 20 seconds in the microwave warms them enough to eat!

wendy- it is nice, expecially on rainy days!

jessie- We only have to sign them out...the teacher signs them in when we walk them in or the Car Doors mom takes them in.

tutu-I do like it!

IamDerby said...

Remember the good ole days when we only had to get ourselves out the door?

Sisters with Style said...

I wish my kid's school had this kind of policy. If they did they would probably have more parents pitching in.

Moi said...

At my youngest's school, there is a whole carpool system set up. One set of teachers gets the kids out of the car, and another walks them inside. I think ti would be fun to do it, but the principal is a total control freak, so I'm guessing she would totally rain on my parade. Tuition back would also be nice.

Elementary kids are responsible for doing everything themselves, even kindergarteners. Something about them being big kids, blah blah blah. Plus school here starts at 7:45 AM (which totally blows). We leave the house at 7:25. Gah.