Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Does parenting ever get easy??

***Edited to add: When I picked Livi up, her teacher told me there was no need to have a meeting with the director. She said we need to give it more time to let her adjust. I agreed with her but did say that I do NOT want to address this again in a couple of weeks. If I am going to have to take her out, I want to do it now with just three weeks into the school year...rather than a month from now!!** I hope I am making the right decision...dang I wish I had a crystal ball!**

I think I have to break my little girl's heart tomorrow. I have to tell her she can't go back to preschool next week.

I casually asked one of her teachers how she was doing today (on Wednesday). When I got back home around 9 ish (only 30 min after I dropped them off) there was a call on the caller ID from the school. I think to myself, "That is strange...no one called my cell phone." I went to see if there was a message on the machine. Sure enough there was. It is the office manager. She said that Livi's teacher had spoken to the director about my 'concern' and that the director wants to see me. BUT she can't see me until at least Thursday sometime.

A little background info here: Livi is only two....She doesn't turn three until mid Oct. I was very reluctant to start her in August for that reason alone. Will started when he was three years and three months. Livi would be that age when the new semester starts in January08. But the director played me like a harp and assured me after paying out the wazoo for the assessment that she would do fine. Also, I didn't want to risk that there wouldn't be a spot for her in January. OK....I went ahead and put her in school. Doubt lingered in me most days...but she loves it so much!

There is also the potty training issue. She still has peepee accidents but no poop accidents. The first week she had accidents on two days. The second week, no accidents at all. I am thinking all things are going well.....Well this week, back to accidents on Monday and Tuesday. She cannot wear a Pullup at school. There is one kid who wears them but I have been told he has "bladder issues". Livi saw his Pullups in the bathroom and tried to put them on! LOL

Third thing...Livi is a thumbsucker. BUT she only sucks when she has bunny. Bunny isn't allowed at school. I wondered how 'oral' she would be since she didn't have bunny to suck her thumb. Well, apparently more than they would like. Montessori is very hands on....there are open shelves for all the projects. Lots of little things to shove into her mouth.

So I guess what this amounts to is "three strikes and you're out" ....I still haven't had my meeting with the director, but I am pretty sure this is what she is going to say. I feel so bad. I am wondering why I didn't listen to my heart when it was saying doubt means don't <----one of the few things I like that Oprah has said recently. I kept telling myself, she is only two! She really wants to be there. I just wish I had come to this conclusion BEFORE she ever started. Now three weeks into school I have to break her little heart. I don't know how she will handle it. My poor baby girl, I will definitely have to take her to Starbucks and get her a star muffin....and a pumpkin latte for me!


Since this is supposed to by my Thursday 13 post, here are 13 things we can do again.



  • go to the park


  • Ooyey Gooyey Friday


  • Open gym at gymnastics


  • story time


  • kindermusik


  • Starbucks


  • Target


  • playgroup


  • get our toes done (okay we have never done that, but it would be fun!)


  • chick a lay (what she calls Chick-fil-A)


  • shopping


  • snuggling on the couch


  • just being a mommy's little girl for a little bit longer

I hope she takes it okay.......dang it I am crying now....my face will be puffy tomorrow if I don't stop! Happy Thursday y'all.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was so beautiful. i'm sure she'll adjust. it was meant to be. :)

Janet said...

awwww, poor little sweetie. It'll probably affect you worse than her!

nene P said...

My heart is breaking for the both of you. But I'm sure that she will be fine.
Hard times do come and you will have to break their hearts so many times. It never get easier, but you and your 'gut' have the best intentions for your baby. She will be OK and the two of you will have so many wonderful things to do. Childhood, at least until 5 is so quick. Thats such a precious time to share with her, I think its a blessing that you will have a bit more time for just the two of you together!
Blessings and prayer for you tomorrow.
queeniep

Anonymous said...

It never gets easier, But it's all worth having kids. I am a single parent of four.

All the Best

Lori said...

OK...whats Ooyey Gooyey Friday?? Dare I ask?? lol Happy tt.

tommie said...

wfm, that is how I am trying to look at it.

janet- I hope so.

queeniep- thanks!

wolfbernz-she is very well worth it!

lori- It is an art class held at the Parks and Rec dept where we live. They do all kinds of messy things I don't do at home....glitter, paint on banners....super messy stuff! She will prance around in a purple tutu till the cows come home, but she will be digging in the dirt at the same time!

lisagh said...

Aw Tommie... I'm sorry this is so hard on you. Maybe the school has another option. Either way, I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you. xoL

Rebecca said...

I guess you get all sorts of opinions from everyone on all sides of this issue, so I'll leave mine out.

It sounds like the two of you will have fun until she does start school. I'm also very sure that she learns tons of stuff from just spending the day-to-day with you.

Rebecca said...

Oh yea - Happy TT13, mines up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

:P

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one. When I was in preschool, they pretty much had to take every child "as is" with no warranties.... I'm sure they have their reasons for all these rules, but it seems a bit harsh to me.

tulipmom said...

Poor girl (and poor mama too). I know it will be really hard to tell her the news but it sounds like you two will have lots of things to keep you busy.

I understand the need for rules but with children developing at such different rates, those rules seem awfully arbitrary.

Moi said...

I am so sad for your baby's (and your) broken heart(s).

Turn this into adventure time. You guys could have the best time being silly.

As she's only almost 3, she will recover faster than you think.

Best of luck ... I'll be thinking of you!

Unknown said...

There is a preschool (early preschool) here in Beaumont that they suggested I put Wade in. I said no and feel good about that decision, because he lacks the maturity level, and also because he's still a baby, and he needs his mom. Im thinking that Livi was excited to go because brother goes, but if she isnt ready, she isnt ready! She still needs her mom, and if you took her out of school, I know it will be heartbreaking but make it positive. Instead of "we arent going to school anymore," say "youre staying here with mommy now." The starbucks is a good idea.

Libby said...

I am sending happy thoughts to both you and Livi, Tommie. I hope the two of you have a very special mother-daughter day today.

Addicted to crafting said...

((((((((hugs)))))))))

Happy TT!!!

Elle Fredrix said...

Aww, and I mean that for both of you. {{{hugs}}} And good for you on taking the positive approach. This just means more precious hours you can spend with her yourself.

Monogram Queen said...

Awwww I hope she doesn't take it too hard either. I am not rushing to put Maddie in pre-school. Maybe next year, Maybe. She will be three at the end of October.

Wendy said...

I'm sorry. Poor girl. She may like staying home with you though if you guys get to do all those fun things!

I had a talk with the teacher about Jayke today too. Jayke and his girlfriend that is. I will be posting about it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I know the little sweetie-by might take it hard initially, but getting to stay with you and have your attention will more than make up for it.

In the end, pre-school is forgotten but adventures with mom, where you felt like the only thing in the world, endure.

(hugs)

~X

Meg said...

Poor little tyke. Here she probably thought she was doing so well. I'll be thinking of you guys. Hope the star muffin helps soothe things a bit.