Thursday, September 27, 2007

Drive thru zoo.....

While looking for things to do in the few hours the kids aren't in preschool or napping has been challenging to say the least. .....so when Mike suggested this drive through zoo thingy not too far from here, I was all game.
Okay, first off...see the sign there on the left? It says, "Enter at your own risk." I think to myself, "How risky can it be?? " But no, there are even more warnings....Stay in your car in case of emergency. POUND your horn and FLASH your lights." <----That should have been a clue....a huge clue. Like someone really needs to stand at the cattle guard and hit you over the head with it kind of clue. But we entered anyway.
First off, we see the biggest ostrich I have ever seen. But come to think of it, I think this is the FIRST ostrich I have ever seen, but it was pretty big. Its legs were as high as my window, its body filled the window area, then its big neck and teeny head was at least 2-3 feet tall.....all this adds up to one big A ostrich. While we are still on the cattle guard, the big A$$ ostrich comes along side our car. I ask the other adults (my in-laws)..where do you think his feet are....should I go forward? We all agree we should and I push on the gas. My car just kind of stays there. Thinking I am only stuck on the cattle guard, I push on the gas harder. Whew hoo, we are finally free....only to see the big a$$ ostrich limping around....DANG! I must have run over its foot! My heart is beating a thousand miles an hour as I see this in my front window.




I just hear him now, "YOU want a piece of me?" You bet your pretty panties I had my windows up....AND I was afraid it was going to push its beak through my windshield.


Okay, we drive on.....oh that is a cute little mini horse, more the kids speed. Not some Big Bird wannabee trying to put his head through my car.


oohh, what's next? Some thing with big curled horns. I was not playing chicken with this thing. He looked like he could do some serious damage to my cool mom car. *Pic taken through the windshield**



The kids did like the tiger, at least it was in a cage.


About half way through the drive, Will said, "I see a rainbow." Just over to the right was a beautiful rainbow.....we had gotten lost on the way there and driven through a bit of rain. Though it was dry and dusty just a mere five miles away at the drive through zoo thingy!


Second mistake of the day......see every animal in the near distance eating stuff on the ground? That car in front of us bought the feed to throw at them....we DID NOT. Mike warned me to not get it because the animals are so used to it, they will stick their heads in the car. Talk about freaking my kids out! This zebra kept running along side us right at Livi's level.....She did not think it was cool at all!


Third and final freak-my-kids out of the day: See this mongo camel...yeah, the one blocking the entire road? He would not move. Again I was not playing chicken with something that had the potential to damage my car. Livi is freaking out....don't hit the camel, don't hit the camel!! Since my batting average with big animals wasn't too great, I made sure to swerve WAY to the right!

There was a petting zoo at the end. Will would go up to the fence of them. His favorite was this big white bird named Knock Knock. Livi didn't really have a favorite...she just wanted to leave!

Finally, saw this thing....not too sure if it is funny or sad. Who would do this to a plant??

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

I think I have been to this place. We weren't smart and had our windows down and the zebra put his head into the van and showed us his huge yellow teeth. It scared me to death! Glad you made it out alive!

nene P said...

What a day! Gee, I bet those huge animals did scare the bijeezes out of those kids! I would have wet my pants. But, it sound like Will had a bit of fun.
Maybe next time Mike and do the driving
have a great weekend

Unknown said...

Drive through zoo is like the coolest and stupidest idea Ive ever heard of.

As for the cactus, I live in the desert. We see cactus graffiti all the time.

Libby said...

Wow, what an adventure! I have a friend who drove through a similar set up and a monkey took a huge bite right out of her car!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Whoa, what fun! I so wish we had a place like this!! Those pictures were awesome. And thank God you didn't get stuck!

Unknown said...

I’ve always thought that ostriches are mean looking birds. I’ve seen them in zoos before and the one you saw was indeed a big one. I’m just glad the tiger was in a cage!

Unknown said...

Maybe...just maybe...that smile was placed on the cactus by God himself...uh-huh...didn't think of that, didja? ;)

That zoo is a little scary...did you leave a donation so they could afford to build some fences and whatnot to contain the animals?

Monogram Queen said...

I don't think i'd like that place. I once played chicken with a big ol' ram and my brand new Grand Am. Talk about nerve wracking!