Tuesday, February 19, 2008

painting entry


I saw this at Janet of Fond of Snape's this last weekend.


Click here to create your own painting.

Everywhere we have lived, we have tried to collect local art. We have gotten some pretty neat pieces from doing this. A print above the love seat reminds us of waiting on the banks of the Chena River in downtown Fairbanks for the Yukon Quest to start. Most sled dogs are a some type of Husky mix. We saw this team take off with an all blond female in the second slot. Shortly after that race, we were at an artfair in some random building in town. We saw a colored pencil sketch of that exact dog. The artist was there at the show. He offered to do a pencil sketch in the lower corner of that dog.

Another thing I learned in Alaska about art is if you find something you love. Do what you can to get something. Even a signed poster if that is all you can afford at the time. Both Husband and I love Fred Machetanz's work. When we first got there, a print was around $300. We hadn't even been married a year at this time, so $300 to a young newly married couple was out of our budget. Just as we were leaving Alaska, Fred Machetanz died. His $300 prints were now about $1000. Live and learn, skimp and save...

While I like my original artwork I created....if fact I would buy this despite how modern it looks. I would put it in a girly dressing room with a foofoo chandelier.

Happy Tuesday, y'all!

13 comments:

Janet said...

Yours is gorgeous...kinda like you!

I know what you mean about art...I bought some beautiful Japanese woodblock prints when I lived in Japan :-)

Unknown said...

Your painting is very neat-- like you!

We bought lots of local art while living in Hawaii. Unfortunately, I don't have any of it now. :(

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

That painting is so you: COOL. We always purchase local art wherever we have lived as well (along with Christmas ornaments) and it always brings back so many memories!

tommie said...

janet- thank you! I bet those blocks are gorgeous.

lisa- thanks...I like anything neat. We might be moving to HI...it is on the top two list as of now.

mamageek- thanks, I kind of like it. If I can figure a way to print it out at a decent resolution I might frame it! What OH art did you get?

nene P said...

That picture is cute for a foo foo room.
Thanks for the tip to eat in OKC. My mom lives near Mercy, so there should be one nearby.

Kellan said...

I agree - girly dressing room with a foofoo chandelier. This is too cool - I need to show my girls (the artists) this - they will love it. Take care Tommie - Kellan

Pennies In My Pocket said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pennies In My Pocket said...

I'm totally with you and Kellan...I'm ALL about foofoo chandeliers...oh and toile, too!

Gorgeous art! I'm off to click around on those sites! Thanks!

~melody~

Jen said...

pretty!

Melanie said...

very pretty...I understand totally! There are many times I wish I had "splurged"!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Very pretty! I like it!

Laski said...

Oooh . . . pretty. I love local art. Some of my students gave me (as a gift for J) paintings they did on their own and in their art classes. I was so touched. One in particular was done by a young lady who I truly believe will go on to do great things in the art world.

Monogram Queen said...

That is very interesting. My painting was kinda... weird LOL