Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hand me downs


This afternoon while putting away laundry, I was pulling out the clothes that are too small for Livi. It seems like she just had a growth spurt. While Husband was gone, she went from wearing 18-24 month clothes to a 3T. She totally skipped 2T clothes. Now it seems like those 3T clothes are too small as well.


The other day it was over 80 degrees. She had to try on three or four shirts before she found one that covered her little belly. Far be she be a hoochie momma in preschool.


We pass down all her clothes to her little cousin E. I just keep a Rubbermaid tub in the closet. ****A little organization from tommie tip: as the kids are undressing for their baths, if the clothes are too small, I pin a safety pin to the label. So a week later or so after it has been washed, I know NOT to put it back in their closet. I just put it straight into the tub. ***


Where was I? Oh yeah, hand me downs. Just recently Livi moved to 4T underwear. I had all these 2T/3T underwear. It made me think. Does anyone really want used underwear? I don't think I would let the kids wear used underwear. So does anyone else want used underwear? I doubt it!! Underwear is not that expensive. Well, the Princess ones are more than just good ol' Hanes, but still, $5 for three pair is not expensive.


So Aunt M....do I toss the underwear?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Used underwear??? Um no.

And thanks for the tip about when to put something away...I'm forever putting my kids in things that should have been packed away.

Jen said...

I don't know about your kids, but NO ONE would let their kids use my boys' hand-me-down undies. They go straight into the trash. Right in.

Great safety pin tip, btw!

Unknown said...

They grow so quickly. It seems like just yesterday that my son was Will's age and now he wears men's clothing and size 14 shoes!

Enjoy your sweet kiddos. :)

tulipmom said...

I'm going to have to say "no" to the used underwear.

Thanks for the safety pin trick.

Completely skipped 2T huh? I better go easy on the buying that far ahead.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Poor livi, getting her underwear thrown out on the internet like that. :) She is so cute T.

Anonymous said...

Toss the undies.

What a cutie...and growing so quite. sigh.

Kellan said...

I love the tub in the closet idea! And, used underwear - I guess it depends on how "used" they are - ya know? See ya - Kellan

Laski said...

Yeah, I echo the sentiments about the used underwear. The lady at Goodwill told us that they get a TON of it and she is always puzzled. They don't put it out unless it is still in the packaging. Hmmm...

Love the safety pin idea!!! Thanks!

Monica said...

I hand down my dd's clothes to my niece...I have about a 50lb. Hefty bag in the attic I need to get rid of soon!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Yeah - I think that underwear is not too expensive not to buy it new....

Unknown said...

The used underwear plagues me too. Thankfully I have two girls so that by the time they're done...they're DONE. Otherwise I feel bad throwing them into a landfill...but indeed for the reason you listed I do throw them away.

Garbage/landfill it is.

Monogram Queen said...

I wish I had someone to pass down clothes to!
Used undies... well I guess it really depends on the recipient. How they feel

KatBliss said...

Toss 'em... I'm a bit of a germaphobe.

Beth Cotell said...

Thanks for the safety pin idea!

As for the underwear...NO! I'm sure they are just as clean as any other hand me downs...but it's just the thought of where they've spent most of their time! :)

tommie said...

mamageek- the child has NO self esteem issues. She would say so herself that she is Princess Olivia!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I hate how often hand me downs end up showing abs like Britney Spears: The Early Years.

I don't know the answer to the underwear dilemma. I donate ours, at least the ones without permanent skidders.

Corey~living and loving said...

I am giggling about the hand me down undies.

here's the deal....did you all know there is a huge group of people that buy and sell their cloth diapers? I mean HUGE. I figure if thousands of women are SELLING used cloth diapers, and thousands of women are buying them....why would undies be different? hmmmmmm....
We have some hand me down trainer undies from my neice and I full on intend to use them. :)
Great post here.

Anonymous said...

love the safety pin idea- saves me from finding the clothes back on my girls and needing another wash.

underwear was one thing I couldn't bring myself to pass down. And for the record I couldn't use cloth diapers either. :(
so what am I like pale green, like celery or sage?

Anonymous said...

ps. your daughter is A for adorable!

dawn224 said...

I bought a bunch of clothes on clearance for next winter ... and half of it fits the baby now. So much for me planning ahead!