Thursday, October 11, 2007

Calendar central


Calendar central, originally uploaded by tommiea1.

I have fallen off the wagon of being so organized. Since I think I am all that and a box of chocolates, I was brought down a peg or two recently about birthdays. My poor little nephew turned one and I didn't even realize it. For some reason his birthday didn't make it onto my calendar. So I thought I would give myself a little refresher in calendar know how. This is the calendar I use. To get an idea of how big it is, it is just about two inches from the top of my fridge and that is the counter just at the bottom of the pic.

I have my routines down, the kids and I are getting through this deployment. Being a pseudo single parent has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I called my sister-in-law and explained that I get a bye this year. She can hold me accountable next year....but I am playing this "deployment card" for all its worth.

I color code my entries....school stuff for both kids is in the same color as their school shirts, Livi's stuff is in purple, Will's in green. I do pencil in "me" time....whether it be just a quick cup of coffee, a pedicure, or lunch with a girlfriend. I guess since I blew it for quite a few birthdays this year, I can start over fresh in January. I have already received my 2008 calendar....those missed birthdays are going to be highlighted! Happy Friday, y'all.....

Straight from the Flylady website:

http://www.flylady.net/index.asp

Family Events: Take the time to sit down and fill in birthdays and general information that is consistent for your family; this will save you from ever forgetting a birthday or anniversary again! This is where you look at your calendar on desk day to see if there any cards or packages that you need to buy and or mail.

Schedules: When you receive a schedule of events from anything that a family member participates in FILL IT IN ON YOUR CALENDAR IMMEDIATELY!! Examples are : school calendars, sports schedules, boy scouts, dance classes, church schedules, etc. When you get them write them down! Don't leave those schedules in a hotspot or the car! If you absolutely can't write them down that minute than take a paper clip and clip it to your calendar or put it in the pocket of your calendar to pull out and enter the information on the calendar when desk day comes around. This will allow you to know what events you can and cannot attend because you will be able to see if you have a schedule issue.

Invitations: When you receive an invitation in the mail DON'T throw it in a hotspot or a pile of mail. First ask yourself if you want to go to the event, if you do than go to your calendar and see if the date is a good one for you or the person that has been invited. If you have looked at your calendar and know that you can attend, you write it down immediately! If the invitation requires an RSVP than take care of that right away. (By the way if you don't want to go to the event or it is something that doesn't work into your schedule then RSVP if required or throw the invitation away!)

Appointments: When you schedule an appointment for Doctors, dentists, barbers, whatever, look at your calendar FIRST! Then after you have scheduled them WRITE the appointment down so that you will not schedule yourself into a conflict. When you are using a basic weekly you will have a day that is more convenient for running around. Try to set up most of your appointments on your errand day, you can make this decision.

7 comments:

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Gotta love those Fly lady gals - I can only aspire to be so organized.....

Unknown said...

I love Fly Lady. I used to follow her too, but I've fallen off the wagon in that way.

Hey, we all forget things sometimes...it's forgivable. :-)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Let me just say I think you are definitely all that and a box of chocolates.

I so get that organization. I try, but it seems I'm getting worse at it. I love your ideas!! Very clever.

Anonymous said...

Those are all great ideas, especially the invitations! I'm so bad, I didn't reply to two wedding invites this summer...and I was photographing them!!! In my defense, I figured they knew I was coming LOL!

Since you're so organized, can you please remind me tomorrow to send Halloween cards? Thanks ;-)

Patriot said...

Wow - so very organized!

Just wanted to let you know about a free giveaway I'm hosting at my site. It's for all natural bath and body products made in Texas. I have giveaways planned for the next month or so - so come check it out! And please spread the word!

Thanks!!

Monogram Queen said...

I really really really really need to do a calender like this!

Anonymous said...

well don't worry about the pegs, we still love you and yes you do really have a pass for this year.