Monday, February 09, 2009

Manic Monday and Apple Pecan muffins

What is your favorite candy? anything chocolate...truffles....peppermint patties.

Name one thing that you'd want to receive as a gift for Valentine's day. Nothing really. We are going to dinner at one of those Japanese places where they prep the meal in front of you. I can't ever remember the name, so I call it the atchi wa wa (and you totally have to make chopping motions with your hand when you say it)

Can we truly love someone who loves another? It would be hard...thankfully I have never been in that position.
Fleur-de-Lisa hosts the original Manic Monday here

For Muffin Monday, we made these awesome apple pecan muffins. They were very good! Will was excited to get his hammer out to make the graham cracker crumbs. We had to have a lesson over banging GENTLY on the counter! These would not do very well in a mini muffin pan since you are layering them. So they are a BIG muffin.....but really good!



Apple Pecan muffins

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 c. wheat bran flakes cereal with raisins ( I just used bran flakes)
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 egg lightly beaten
1 c. nonfat buttermilk
2 T. butter, melted
1 c. peeled, finely chopped Rome apple ( I used pink lady since that is what I had in the house)
1/3 c. chopped pecans, toasted
2 T. sugar
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1 T. butter, melted
vegetable cooking spray
1 T. sugar

Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture. Combine egg, buttermilk, ad 2T melted butter; add to dry ingredients. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Set aside.

Combine apple and next 4 ingredients; set aside.

Spoon 2T batter into each of 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with apple mixture. Spoon remaining batter over apple mixture. (Batter will not completely cover apple mixture.) Sprinkle 1 T. sugar evenly over batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.



Remove from pans immediately. Plate and share with friends.
Yield: 1 dozen **These do no do well in a mini muffin pan***

Calories: 198 Protein 3.6 g Fat 6.1 g Carbohydrate 3.4 g Fiber 1.5 g Cholesterol 18mg Iron 1.5 mg Sodium 240 mg Calcium 33mg

6 comments:

tavolini said...

hahaha--I like the 'banging gently' lesson!

I ADORE Japanese steakhouses--although I can NEVER catch the carrot or whatever he chooses to toss at me. It did land in my cleavage once ;)

Anonymous said...

wowowowowowowowowowo!! Those look so very very good. MMMMMMMM!!

((hug))

I'm so glad you've never loved someone who loves another.

Corey~living and loving said...

oh me oh my...those sound delish. :)

Monogram Queen said...

I would probably pass on these muffins (not a nut fan) but I love the japanese steak house - so fun! I hope you have a wonderful time tommie!

Janet said...

Those sound delicious! And to Claudia...sometimes, those of us that have loved someone who loved another had no idea they loved the other til it was too late.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Will is a heartthrob, will you please tlel him that, Tommie? :)

and I imagine it would be hard, as you said, to love someone like that...........i can either spend my energy thinking about it.......or just be glad, I am not in that situation, as of today :)