Sunday, January 20, 2008

Organizing tips from Tommie #3...kids toys

Stella asked, "How about the kiddos? What tips do you have to organize their stuff? "


First, I am so glad to be out of the age where they were in exersaucers, swings, tummy time mats, etc. We do have some toys in the living room, but not so many that it is overwhelming. I am assuming Stella meant toys. If you meant clothes or closets or something else, let me know. I am not saying I am an expert on organizing, but this is what works for us.



To keep the interest of the toys at hand, I rotate the toys. I have three bins of toys (stored in the garage), as well as the ones in the house. I have them set up in "themes": 1. Planes, trains and automobiles, 2. dinosaurs, ABCs, and barnyard 3. (the one in the house now) is colors, numbers, shapes.

I have two bookshelves in the living room. The bottom half is for the kids. These baskets have some of the toys from the colors, numbers, and shapes bin. The blue thing on the upper left if a puzzle stacker. I used to be a teacher before kids. I got that from some teacher supply catalog. The only thing I don't like about it is that puzzles with pegs don't fit in it. That shelf is deep enough though that the ones with pegs can be stacked behind the stacker.

edited to add: The baskets are the Sabrina baskets. The cubbies are from Target. I put those together myself....so they are pretty easy if you have an electric screwdriver. The pink and green buckets are actually from Walmart. They are a bit sturdier than the ones from Target. (Though Target has some leather ones now, that I would love to get for the office/playroom.)

I am almost embarrassed to post this pic above. Once I took it, I realized I really need to dust down there! Oh well, this is the true blue me....but you know as soon as I saw it, I had to clean it!! More toys from the colors, numbers, shapes. The basket on the bottom holds things that are so large they don't fit in the baskets. This time it is filled with a bunch of those Leapfrog toys...the Tad, Lily, ABC Caterpillar, some ABC bus thing.

That is all of the toys in the living area. They do have some in their room.....

Livi has a bigger closet than Will does, so she has two of these cubby things. Each bucket holds one group of toys: dress up clothes, babies, Cinderella toy, CareBear stuff, hats, Dora stuff, Miss Spider toy, and doll clothes. Off to the right are two bins: one for clothes I buy a season ahead. The other bin is for clothes that are too small. We send these to a cousin. Once the bin gets full, I bag it and put it in the attic. Off to the left is a basket of stuffed animals. I really want to get rid of them, but can't bring myself to toss them yet!



Will closet is a bit smaller, so his cubby is smaller. His mainly has dinosaurs, cars, boy stuff. I just noticed he has a blue bucket in here. These are the same sized as the ones from the art stuff in the office . So he must have traded one of the "projects" in there for one of his in his room. The baskets in the living room also fit in their cubbies in their closets.

The thing I like best about using the cubby system is even as young as one and two, they are able to put stuff back in the buckets. We try to only have one bucket per kid out at a time. It doesn't always work that way, but we do try.


Finally, for things that need to be hung up, I love those hooks by 3M that have the removable adhesive. We have two of these hooks on the back of the door in their rooms.


My last little piece of Tommie tips: I am a firm believer in "One toy in, one toy out"....meaning every time the kids get a new toy, one gets donated to the cousins or Goodwill. They have to decide where it is going to "live" <-----which bucket it is going to go into, or which bin it will go into if they want it to go into the toys that get rotated. We change out the toys every three weeks or so. I can usually tell when they are bored with the ones in the living room, so we drag the next one out and do a switcheroo!

More pics on my Flickr....click on the badge and it will take you there.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... I am amazed at how well organised you are. My children's toys were never that neat when they were little. Come to think of it, their rooms still aren't that neat now! lol... great tips, wish you'd been around for me years ago.

tulipmom said...

Very organized! The baskets look like Pottery Barn's Sabrina Baskets. Is that where the cubbies are from too?

tommie said...

The baskets are the Sabrina baskets. The cubbies are just from Target. I put those together myself....so they are pretty easy if you have an electric screwdriver. The pink and green buckets are actually from Walmart. They are a bit sturdier than the ones from Target. (Though Target has some leather ones now, that I would love to get for the office/playroom.)

Libby said...

Tommie, rotating out the toys is a brilliant idea. I swear, your resourcefulness knows no bounds!

tommie said...

I started doing that when we lived in the east bay of San Francisco. Our house was so small that there just wasn't room for it all. You would think it is Christmas when we bring out the next tub! It is amazing.

NH Yocal said...

Great organizing. Love the idea of rotating toy bins and even categorizing them. Thanks!

jennwa said...

Those are great ideas. I know people that rotate the toys and it works great. I love the the kids closets they look neat and pretty.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. See ya soon.

nene P said...

you inspired me to clean the kitchen cabinets, so Saturday am I got up at atum! The cabinets are clean and next weekend they get a good cleaning on the outside and painted a new shade! I painted them white some years ago, but I would like to go with a color on the bottom and white on top. hubs says whatever... we are rippin it out next fall.
You are so organize...

Gina said...

I love organizing ideas. Thank you for sharing -- what an inspiration you are!

Andrea said...

Those are some great ideas. We are actually in the process of doing some clean-up and organizing...these tips will come in handy!

I definitely like the toy rotation idea...sometimes the kids can't see the playroom for all the toys, you know?

And the one in, one out -- brilliant!!

Monica said...

Oooohhh...I love organization pics! I like the cubes with the baskets...may have to use that somewhere.

k e r r y said...

have you thought about becoming a professional organizer?

Janet said...

so amazing!

Anonymous said...

When are you available to come to my house? Seriously?

IamDerby said...

you have a very nicely organized house...mine is no where close to that! LOL. I would recommend ikea though for great bin/bucket storage. My son has several of their shelf/bin combos and they work great.

dawn224 said...

that's great. things like this makeme feel all calm and peaceful...

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! I am taking my butt to Target & Wal-Mart. I have one of the cubby systems in the playroom, it works well.

I love the idea of putting cubbies in the closets! I am going to do that with my daughter's room!

Thanks!!!

Little Town Big Life said...

Ok Tommie, you are really scary!!! I would love to have the time to organize the entire house, but I've let it go so long that I need an entire month off just to get cleaned up!!!

Maybe I should take a leave of absence!! ha ha

Seriously, you have inspired me to "get with the program". I know deep down that life is so much easier when items are organized.

Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I am so glad we are past the point of toys with a million pieces.

I was big on toy rotation too and keeping everything separated. Looks great, Tommie. But of course!

Unknown said...

I'm tired just reading this HA Gonna go lie down. :)

tommie said...

Yes, I have. I think once the kids are in school all day I will look into it more seriously. I do this for friends and my family for free! I have to refrain myself when I am at my mom's house. Just because I want something organized, doesn't mean that they want it! I will do my mom's pantry when we visit, then it looks the same way when we go back. So I have to NOT do it when I am there!

Monogram Queen said...

I am about to go through Maddie's toys this week-end. She is going through a really bad sloppy phase right now!

Wendy said...

We loved the cubbies when we had a house. Now we have book shelves with totes on them...they fit in our tv/computer/play/living room. When you only have two rooms it is harder to be organized...not enough room!