Monday, December 03, 2007

Manic Monday, Muffin Monday, and a contest




fleur-de-lisa hosts Manic Monday here.

What’s the longest you’ve ever waited in line? I am not a big waiter for much.....though I did wait in line for over two hours to get into Nell Hills warehouse sale. Well, worth the wait. I scored about $1000 worth of stuff for a little less than $100!

It’s been said that, “The best things in life are free.” Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
I do think it is true. Time spent with friends and family, making memories doing whatever are priceless. Everywhere we have lived, we have made lifelong friends.


If you could go back in time and re-live one day in your life, which day would you choose and why?Ooohhh, that is a hard one.....I think I agree with Lisa, though the birth of our kids was rough, right after delivery is so memorable.


Ginger Pear muffin mosiac, originally uploaded by tommiea1.

These were the best muffins ever! Right next to the pear is a piece of dark chocolate you tuck in once they come out of the oven...it makes a little gooey pocket of chocolate!!

Finally, I am almost to my 10,000 visitor to my little blog.....so, whoever the 10,000 visitor is I will send you an ornament (if you are willing to share your address!!)

Edited to add recipe: (my notes in red)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( I use 1 c. whole wheat flour, 1/2 all-purpose flour)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2/3 c. mild molasses
1/4 c butter, melted
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. boiling water
2 small pears cut into six wedges each
3 oz.dark or bittersweet chocolate broken into small pieces
raw sugar ( I used turbinado sugar)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and flour. (oops, I forgot the flour part and they came out fine out of a stoneware muffin pan,)

2. In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together molasses, brown sugar, butter, brown sugar, and egg. Pour into flour mixture. Stir until combined. Whisk in boiling water. (If you are using a stand mixer, do this VERY slowly or it will splatter hot water everywhere!!!) Divide evenly among muffin cups. add one pear wedge to each muffin, press lightly. (Don't press all the way to the bottom, or the muffin falls apart.)

3. Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Add chocolate pieces to top of muffins. (I pushed the chocolate piece in just barely half way to make the little pool of chocolate.) Cool in pan on rack ten minutes. Use table knife to smooth melted chocolate. Remove from cups. Cool completely on wire rack.

Makes 12.

13 comments:

Libby said...

Best things in life are free. No doubt about it.

Ooh, congratulations on your visitor milestone!

Would you consider sharing the ginger pear muffin recipe? They look spectacular!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Yes, undoubtedly the best things in life are free. My favorite formula of all time is

Life - Love = 0

Pear muffins? Who knew, they look divine. 10000 visitors and 15 days left. :)

Meg said...

I agree that the best things in life are free...of course!

One of my favorite days ever was the bridal shower hosted in my hometown by one of my mom's friends. All of the most special women in my life were there, people who had never really all been in one room together - cousins, aunts, both grandmothers, my mother, my mother in-law & sister in-law to be, friends. It struck me during the that time how much I treasured them as a group...it was special.

Congrats on reaching 10,000...that's a major accomplishment!

Unknown said...

Well, that was well worth it to wait in line! I'm not a line-waiter either.

There's nothing more precious than holding your fresh baby in your arms. :)

The muffins sound divine. I'm adding it to my list now.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Oh those muffins look wonderful! I may have to try those too - girl you are gonna put 10lbs on me with these recipes LOL

Cynthia said...

The muffins look fabu!

Scoobers said...

I may attempt you muffin recipe. They look yummy!

Wendy said...

You know my boy is a muffin lover so I will have to make these for sure! That picture of Livi is adorable!

nene P said...

Good golly, Can I come live at your house???? Ita always clean, your cook, your are organized ...
Im coveting your abilities to get things done. I dont even have the tree out of the attic!!!!!
The muffins look soooooooooo yummy.
What a great mom! They will always remember your Monday muffins!

Monogram Queen said...

Okay is it cheating if I post multiple times until I am the winner LOL

Did I miss your answer on savory muffins? You have the BEST recipes! (or receipts as they are called in Charleston hehe..)

Janet said...

I am SO going to try those muffins!!! Thanks for posting the recipe :-)

Mary Alice said...

Those look so good and I just happen to have bought pears at the commissary today.

Desert Diva said...

Gee, I never heard of Nell Hills before - now I'm in trouble! The muffins look absolutely delicious. You're quite the cook!