Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thursday 13....favorite muffin recipes




These have been my favorite muffins we have made from Muffin Mondays:

Since I finally finished the entire ABC themed Thursday 13.......I am back to wondering to what to do every week! These are in no particular order....because if they were #6 the Chocolate Chocolate Chip muffins would TOTALLY be first! Here are thirteen favorite muffins and cookies and sweets from the last two years of doing muffin Monday.

Several people have asked how Muffin Monday came about.....Husband deployed in Oct of 2006. The kids were 2 and 3 at the time. Livi had turned two a week after he left. Will was 3 1/2. I was trying to eliminate some of the cookbook clutter I had. I told myself that if I didn't use at least five recipes out of a cookbook, I had to get rid of it. I could copy the recipe into my recipe file and get rid of some clutter.

Oh how I love me some cookbooks! I have several from vacations, some from Junior League groups around the country, and most places we have lived. So in order to kind of cheat and keep some of those cookbooks, I choose to find the simplest recipe in the cookbook. Muffins are quick and easy. I, also really needed to get into a routine to help the time pass.

Will was in preschool every day until 12:30. He didn't nap. That time in the afternoon just before dinner became so hard. I knew we needed to do something to keep busy. When Husband first deployed, we thought it was for a year. Somewhere in there, it was extended to 15 months. That is a long time to be a "pseudo single parent".

So muffin Monday was born. We would make a muffin recipe into 24 mini muffins (sometimes more)...We shared those muffins with two or three neighbors. Each family got half a dozen or so, most of the time, warm out of the oven. The kids loved delivering them...we had so much fun baking them.

Now at ages 4 and 5, both kids know muffins are basically some dry stuff (flour and sugar) and wet stuff (eggs and something else)....we mix it all together and have a little plate of happiness to share.

Enough rambling......each of these has the recipe on the link.





Happy Thursday. y'all!

16 comments:

NotJustAMom said...

One word...YUM!

Happy TT!

CC said...

This post, makes you my new herione! I luvs me some muffins (esp. chocolate!)

soleil said...

those pumpkin chocolate chip muffins sound delicious!
happy tt!

Brandt! said...

YEAH! ... sharing secrets of the recipes!! mmmm .. I just made orange-cranberry, low fat with whole wheat ... trying to do better!

Anonymous said...

It all sounds yummy and everything, but let's get serious here...

Send fudge!

Merry Christmas from She Lives!

Corey~living and loving said...

You are the queen, and I keep meaning to try some of these.

Janet said...

mmm, they all look so good! I'm actually baking some molasses spice mini-loaves right now LOL! The recipe is actually for cookies, but I tried using applesauce instead of butter and it made the cookies too soft...but perfect for mini-loaves! Boy does it smell good in here :-)

tavolini said...

oooh--I think both the turtles and the fudge would be up my alley! And chocolate chip banana. And Amish ginger cookies...you know, I'd better just take one of each :)

That's a great routine--very cool for the kids! (and the readers)

Monogram Queen said...

I wish i'd get inspired enough to do the lemon ricotta or ginger pear muffins. Yum!

jayedee said...

i actually thought i was finished with my baking! silly me! happy tt!

Desert Diva said...

We are all the more lucky that you developed "Muffin Monday." Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes!

Joanna said...

Those look good!! How do you stay so skinny?!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Now THIS? This is my favorite post of yours ever. Consider it bookmarked. I so wish you lived closer.

I hope all is well, sorry I've been MIA around here lately!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Thanks for sharing, I am already working on some of these! YUMO!

Anonymous said...

I love this! What great recipes and a wonderful way to share the blessing of your love with us.

You do inspire.

scrappysue said...

nice mosaic!