Thursday, April 24, 2008

Caterpillar to butterfly- days 1-3

Will got a butterfly canopy for Christmas from his Aunt M. It is one of those expandable things with a fine mesh walls. There is a little card included to send in to get the caterpillars. Note to all: Don't lose that card. Since you have already paid for the caterpillars in the canopy set, all you have to pay is shipping when you send in that card.

BUT if you lose that card you end up spending $14.99 + shipping, for more live caterpillars. You get five Painted Lady caterpillars in a cup. There is food at the bottom of the cup. When they arrived I was sure one was dead. It didn't move for almost 20 hours. Then the second day it had not only moved, but it doubled in size. It should take about three weeks for the total change from caterpillars to chrysalis to butterflies.
>
Right now the food is disappearing at an alarming rate. I hope there is enough in there for them. There are tiny silk threads in there to help them climb. So far so good....


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright, i made the blog, i am so excited. i am so happy that will got to use his present i hope he enjoys the butterflies.

Janet said...

wow, what a cool gift! Can't wait to see the butterflies :-)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, that is so neat. I bet WILL especially LOVES IT! Too cool. The metamorphasis is so cool, isn't it?

~*Marie*~ said...

My son got one of these one year for Christmas and he just loved it. We order caterpillars several times and once found a cacoon on some corn husks that he put in the butterfly house and watched it hatch. It is amazing! Good luck with them.

Don Mills Diva said...

That is sooo cool - keep posting photos please!

Ashlee and Carey said...

How cool!!! Keep posting with pics! I can't wait to see the butterflies! And congrats on getting your house sold!

Monogram Queen said...

I will have to look into this, Madison just loves loves loves caterpillars! Thanks for sharing the info, I had no idea this existed!

k e r r y said...

that looks like FUN! And kind of gross too...

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I bet you will really enjoy these. How fun to have something great during this big life change - great lesson too! :)

I've sent them to oldest sister's kids - my sister killed them. So, with hope, I sent them to my youngest sister - who killed hers.

I pray for your caterpillars! ;)

Unknown said...

How cool! I am sure the kids are going to have a great time with this.

Unknown said...

My kids saw an ad for this (or something similar) on TV and are dying for one! Enjoy!

nene P said...

we do those every spring in my class. Its really easy, but beware of the reddish stuff that leack from the butterflies when they emerge. My kiddos always think that they are bleeding!!!!
But it sooooo fun to watch
enjoy