Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Just a little Reflection

without sounding too cliche, as we are in the last couple of months here, a little reflection (taken with my phone while waiting for Will at the bus stop)
To be honest, this has been the hardest place i have ever lived.
Despite being moved how many ever thousands of miles it is from Oklahoma to Alaska, even that was easier. I guess since EVERYONE was far away from home, you either made friends or b!thched and moaned for three years. I choose to make friends and get involved. I made lifelong friends there.

Then we moved back to Oklahoma
It was going home. I already had friends. I went right back to my old job at my old school with my same old friends. Nice easy....I made a new lifelong friend again.

Then we moved to California.
I was big honkin' pregnant. Will was barely a year old. Despite having two kids under 16 months. I got involved in a MOPS group and an awesome playgroup. We were only there a year, but again.....I made awesome friends there.

Then we moved to Kansas.
Two kids under three, living on post in close knit living quarters. Many bottles of wine were shared with friends and neighbors. I made awesome friends there.

Then we moved to Texas.
The kids were two and three. Husband deployed after just a few months for fifteen months. So did 3/4 of the other husbands on the street. The wives that were left there not only survived but we bonded. Again, lifelong friendships were made.

Then we moved to Kentucky.
I have made a lifelong friendship. (Will hopes they will someday be his in-laws!) Seriously he told me that he will marry E, he just has to grow up and learn a job so he can earn the bacon to take care of E. It's so adorable how much he loves this little girl.
The other people in this community don't seem as welcoming and friendly to anyone that doesn't have three or more generations living here. It has been hard. Just now after almost two years here, do people seem to be opening up. As a military wife, I don't have two years to break the ice and just now start making friendships.
Even as hard as it has been, I have made a lifelong friendship. It is the little grain of hope that I take to our next duty station. I can make friends, I will make friends.
In honor of my cheesy reflection: I leave with some lyrics to Nickelback's "If Today was Your Last Day"
My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled
The first step you take is the longest stride


1 comment:

Joanna said...

Aww - I'm sorry you've had a hard time. But it does sound like you guys are excited to be moving back.